Saturday, March 10, 2012

Melted Crayon Art

It's crafting time!





This is a project to do with tweens and teens, not pre-schoolers as you have to use a hot glue gun.
  
Okay in this project instead of using a hair dryer to melt the crayons I ran the crayons through a small, low temp, hot glue gun. As you can see it turned out great! I do suggest you get the glue gun that takes the fully rounded glue sticks and not the glue sticks that are flat on one side. If you have the flat kind the crayons wont fit well and pulls back out when you let go of the trigger instead of advancing further into the gun.

  • First I cut a good size piece of canvas off the roll and pinned to a peg board. 
  • Next I picked out the color of crayons I wanted to use and peeled the paper off of them. 
  • I started with blue and held the glue gun up to the top of the canvas, pulled the trigger, and let the melted crayon run down as far as it would. 
  • (For really long strands hold the gun to the canvas and pull the trigger in the same place a couple of times, one after the other, before the first strand can dry.)
  •  (For drips or short strands hold the gun away from the canvas and pull the trigger just a little bit letting it fall to the canvas.
  • I alternated my favorite colors of blue, purple, and green, of course.
  • I left the bottom center portion clear until I could decide what to put there and just made the "rain" cover the rest of the canvas.
  • When I decided what I wanted to put in the clearing I just drew an outline on the canvas then colored it in with black sharpie. 
  • I went with a simple silhouette of a little girl holding an umbrella. (I did not free hand draw this, I printed out a picture a picture little girl and a picture of an umbrella, cut them out, taped them on the canvas just so, and traced them.) 
  • After coloring the silhouette, I taped the little girl back on top of her silhouette so I wouldn't drip crayon on her by mistake (she is under an umbrella after all.).
  • I then added more 'rain drops' to the top of the umbrella and even under the umbrella. I did this because while, yes, under the umbrella is dry behind the umbrella is not and you can always see behind the person holding the umbrella so...
In the Pictures, you can't really see the colors I used since they were darker but you can tell on the actual art work. Using lighter colors would make it possible to see in photos also.

Thanks for looking!

lil_jill

No comments:

Post a Comment